The gamers.org server has been moved to a new location with a new IP address.
Due to prolonged inactivity, the Community Forums have been retired.
In recent weeks we have performed rather extensive – and some
might say long overdue – maintenance in most of our gaming
archives, most notably idgames2 (Quake/QuakeII-engine) and 3DPortal
(Duke 3D & Shadow Warrior). This included:
extracting accompanying .txt files if still contained within .zip files;
correcting filename typos and timestamps;
moving misplaced files to appropriate directories;
removing duplicate, superseded and bogus files;
and other file maintenance actions.
- It is with great sadness that we learned that idgames (DOOM)
archive maintainer Ty Halderman has passed away. A brief memoriam is posted
Bill Koch (Bloodshedder) and Eric Baker (The Green Herring) have
kindly taken over maintenance of the idgames archive.
- A blast from the past... Double Fine Productions' "Devs Play" YouTube series featuring John Romero playing the entire first episode and talking about DOOM:
- This Fall the first warning signs appeared that the Gamers.org
RAID was slowly dying, but a combination of real-life madness and
general tardiness caused us to not act on them. On November 2, the
RAID switched to read-only mode and failed altogether later that month.
We meant to move from a USA West-coast data center to an East-coast
one anyway, so the process of acquiring new hardware, preparing it, and
finding a new data center and deploying there took a bit over a month.
As of December 12 the FTP archives returned online, followed by the
website and forums on December 21. Apologies for the long outage.
- Archives are now online of the .plan
updates made by id Software as well as a few other people, and
of the idNews postings made by
id Software on Usenet, along with some miscellaneous postings.
- After (too) many quiet years, Gamers.org once again provides actively maintained Community Forums!
- Gamers.org is now hosting the masters of the DOOM (idgames), Quake (idgames2) and Unreal Community Archives.
- 3D Gamers & Gamers.org are now hosting the masters of the DOOM (idgames), Quake (idgames2) and Unreal Community Archives.
- In yet another misfortune, one of our 4 GB disks crashed, leaving us without the
idgames and gti mirrors. Getting the system back up took a few
days - apologies for the inconvenience. We're going back to the drawing board
to rebuild most of the system and hopefully prevent the heating problems that
caused the disk crashes.
- Unfortunately one of our 8 GB disks crashed, leaving us without the
idgames2, unreal and 3drealms mirrors. We're working
on getting a replacement.
- A bit more system tuning allowed us to increase the number of
anonymous ftp users another ten percent, now to 200.
- Due to disk space considerations, we no longer carry the
planetquake and planetunreal hierarchies of the idgames2 and unreal
mirrors from the Walnut Creek Archives.
- The 3DRealms mirror is back.
- On Thankgiving Day, one of our disks started going bad. As a result,
we've temporarily lost the mirror of 3DRealms. You'll have to go to
the primary archive at ftp.cdrom.com for those files until we get the
disk replaced, which won't be until December. This also affected the
3D Action Gamers' Archive, which lost some directories. That's been
fixed, but for awhile, Shadowwarrior, Jedi Knight, and Blood 2 files were
- On Nov 20th, we stopped mirroring the 3DFiles archive, and
removed the files. It grew too much and took up too much space. Sorry.
- Lots more tuning and tweaking, many ftp server restarts and two system
reboots later (sorry again ;) we are now comfortably handling 180
simultaneous anonymous ftp users.
- We've tuned the system to cope better with large numbers of downloads,
and can now handle 100 simultaneous anonymous ftp users. During this tuning
process the ftp server had to be restarted several times - apologies for
- The 3DfxMania mirror was renamed to 3D Files mirror, in accordance with their name change.
- Gamers.Org is the first mirror of the new
Unreal archive at ftp.cdrom.com/pub/unreal/.
Sorry about the lack of updates. Here's a bunch.
- Added two 9 Gigabyte disk drives for more archive storage. YEAY!
- The planetquake section
of the idgames2 mirror from cdrom.com
is finally up-to-date, now that we've got room for it all.
- Gamers.Org is now the East Coast mirror for the
3DfxMania archive (a service brought
to you by the guys at www.3dfxmania.com).
- Thanks to our main archivist, Frans, we now have one of the few
remaining copies of the
"Classic" PC Games Archives,
originally hosted at UML and then briefly at UWP.
These are the MSDOS games popular in the early nineties - not just 3D
games or action games, but lots more. More info at the hyperlink, above.
- We are now a 3DRealms archive mirror
for the primary archive at ftp.cdrom.com/pub/3drealms/.
- System upgrade is finally in progress.
Read about it.
Completed in late February.
- SYSTEM UPGRADE - Beginning Thursday, January 22,
there will, at some time, be an extended downtime lasting 1-2 days
while the hardware is upgraded to a faster system with more memory
and disk storage. At the same time, newer versions of many of the
software packages we use here will be installed. So there will be
an extended period during which public access will not be permitted
while we integrate and test these various upgrades.
The result (we hope), will be a faster system with more space for
files (we ran out of space a few weeks ago) and the ability to support
more simultaneous FTP and HTTP connections. Thank you for your patience.
- DISK OUTAGE FIXED - On Monday morning, January 12, the
problem with the disk containing /pub was resolved and we are now
back in business.
- DISK OUTAGE -
On Friday morning, January 9, the disk that contains the ftp public
download root directory (i.e. /pub) unexpectedly went off-line,
and we have been unable to restore it.
Some of the download areas serving the 3dgamers site are available at
ftp2.3dgamers.com, but most others are off-line and will remain so
until the problem can be addressed by on-site staff on Monday.
This outage is temporary, and we hope to have things returned to
normal in a few days. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Quake - The Queen of the Hill Tourney is taking registrations from now till
September 18, 1997. Check it out at
- Addition of more disk space and reorganization of data partitions caused
extended down-time during June 26-27. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
- Added pointers to secrets for Heretic episodes 4 and 5 to
Heretic secrets page.
- The Quake FAQ
maintained by Toby Goldstone is now available here at Gamers.Org
in various HTML and plaintext formats.
- A belated note that Rogue Entertainment's Home Page is now located at
We wish them well at their new home.
- New patch from Rogue
Entertainment for Strife will update your hooks for function keys.
- 3D Action Gamers' Archive moves to its new permanent home. Read more
about it here.
The home page now has a search box for searching the archive.
- 3D Action Gamers' Archive has a new dedicated server now which is currently
testing itself but should be fully prod in a few days. Check it out at
- Hypermail archives of
various mailing lists are now updated every hour thanks to John Van Essen's
- New patch from
Rogue Entertainment for Strife will update those customers who
purchased the Strife v1.2 CD to version 1.3.
- New Cheats section in 3D Action Gamers' Archive is on line.
- FingerGate, a Gateway to finger
from the World Wide Web, is now up and running. Try some of the
canned examples to see what its capabilities are.
- Rogue has released the Strife 1.3 Updater.
It allows you to save your game to any save slot.
- Rogue Entertainment
the guys who brought you STRIFE just added a ton of new updates to their site here.
Check it out.
- 3D Action Gamers'
is officially open for business
(see Press Release)
- Finally created statistical reports on usage of
this site. Now you know why sometimes things are slooooow..
- Shameless plug... www.100hot.com
voted this site as the 18'th overall... which kind of rocks considering the
competition ;-) .... end shameless plug
- Quake 1.01 is out.
- Final Doom is out.
- Quake 1.00 is out.
- Quake .91 for Linux (intel based) is available.
- quake92p.zip NEW quake patch
- Strife Screen Shots are now available
- Strife Cheat Codes are now available
- Quake 0.91 has been released.
- DoomGate needs help
- The Doom Zoo by Frank Stajano. A java based view of Doom characters.
- A new Message Board is running (Beta)
- Utils section moved from old DoomGate
- Yahoo index updated to reflect doomgate.gamers.org
- Exclusive from Rogue - Interview about Strife
- John Van Essen wrote a totally cool index to DoomGate
- New experimental DoomGate WWWBoard
- Our very own FAQ - The DoomGate FAQ
- Quake beta shots are released (here)
- Totally new... Ultimate Doom pages
- New page added for DLAUNCH
- Added more links to port on the Doom page
- Latest Heretic patch updates
- Added more nodes to the
- Added more nodes to the
- Added more BBS's to the
- You can now download a shareware copy of the games from their
respective pages in the Games section
- Added more links to the Who is Who pages in Addons
- Some areas are under development to make things even easier (as in
point.. click.. and its yours) so please be patient
- Updated and cleaned up majority of pages
- A completely redone DoomWebNodes.html page is finally up to date.
- Special offer for util authors has been posted
- Icons on the bottom on most pages have been added (menu bar layout)
- Started mirroring
Mantis (rec.games.computer.doom.*) postings
- Added a new Guide to DoomGate
- Mailing lists now have their own page
- Added a new copyright information on the front page. Please read
it carefuly as it may apply to you too.
Copyright © 1994-2019 by